The best program manager resume highlights the candidate's ability to work across departments and lead strategic initiatives. This is because program managers oversee the entire lifecycle of their programs.
It's different from a product manager. TheProgram Manager of the Instituteclaims that the program manager can be considered a "super designer" because he manages all projects with a business program.
If you are looking for a job, your program covers the entire job search process. A big part of this is the resume writing project. Use our free RGive examplesand this guide full of resume tips will help you:
Every 2 weeks our expertsGet the best career and resume advice you can read in up to 15 minutes. Straight to your inbox!
Watch your inbox!
Our newsletter is on its way. Now every 2 weeks you will receive the best CV and job tips from our career experts by email!
- What does a program manager do?
- How to write a resume as a program manager
- Best program manager resume format
- In each section of your resume, highlight the qualities that will make you an excellent program manager
- Make a professional visual impression.
Our general resume writing guide goes into detail and offers sample resumes to help you get started. However, you can also find information tailored to your program manager career choice.
Relevant CV examples can be found atCategory also useful:
- CEO resume example
- Senior Business Analyst resume sample
- Sample CV of the grant author
- Company marketing manager resume example
- Sample resume of a business development manager
- Manager resume sample
- Consultant resume example
- Business manager resume example
- Product Manager resume example
- Project manager resume example
- Business analyst resume example
- Executive Assistant Resume Example
- Procurement manager resume example
- Sample Director's CV
What does a program manager do?
Program managers are responsible for directing, coordinating and improving the organization's internal and external programs. You will help in creating a strategy and preparing and implementing action plans to increase productivity. Program managers monitor the progress of various projects and work towards achieving project milestones and those related to the overall development of the program.
As a Program Manager, you are also responsible for managing the following tasks:
- Project budgets
- Coordination of all projects within the program
- Communication with and between stakeholders
- Resource usage
- Main software documentation.
How to write a resume as a program manager
What should you include in your resume as a program manager? The basic structure is no different from any other resume. It should have a standard format and contain the following sections:
- Resume header
- Resume summary (also known as profile or personal statement)
- Professional history section
- Resume skills section
- The field of education
It's your job to convince recruiting managers that you're the oneDiethe right person for the position. Being a program manager requires an eye for detail and an in-depth knowledge of the types of programs you manage. That's a lot to express in a program manager resume. How do you do that? Showing the most convincing examples from your professional history and using descriptive language without crossing the line of bragging.
Best resume format for program manager
Unless you have good reason to do otherwise, you should organize your program manager resume in reverse chronological order. The purpose of any resume is to make it easier for recruiters and applicant tracking systems (ATS) to analyze your experience, and they both prefer this format.
Many career paths can lead to a program manager position. If your career hasn't gone down the right track, you may be considering itHybrid resumesA format where your skills are treated the same as your professional education. This can also work if you've taken a sabbatical or are on a career break for some other reason.
Sample resume summary
The purpose of a program manager resume summary is to highlight both your professional achievements and your personality… all in 3-5 sentences. If the recruiter is impressed with your references, they will read this information for more information.
Describe one or two highlights in your career that best illustrate the skills you'll need in your chosen role. Explain in a sentence or two why your professional demeanor makes you a great fit for the job. Try to find the right tone between overly modest and overdone.
Customizable resume example
Innovative program manager with proven experience in strategically leading organizations in achieving their goals. He has experience in monitoring operational progress and supervising intercompany projects. Experience in managing people and evaluating project progress to achieve timely results.
An example of a professional career
The careers section on a program manager's resume takes up most of the document, unless you're new to the job market - which is unlikely in this role. The goal is to provide a template for career development and success.
How do you do that? Devote more of your precious space to a recent job or two - one where you've completed tasks that make you an excellent candidate for the positions you're considering.
Use the CAR method in your points to describe aChallenge, AgeactionYou took it to solve it, and yoursresults. Data and details reinforce your arguments.
The following sample CV content will be a good starting point.
Customizable resume for work history Example
Program Manager at Deloitte Solutions, New York
March 2013 - today
- Lead projects and corporate initiatives based on needs and goals.
- Track intercompany projects and evaluate performance.
- He leads initiatives related to risk and resource management.
- Prepare and distribute written reports to program managers.
Program Manager at Reel Solutions in New York
April 2009 – February 2013
- Helped build and lead teams of problem solvers and managers.
- Provide end-to-end program management for your company and oversee corrective actions.
- Creating offers and project cost estimates.
- Management of contracts and project schedules.
- Leading a strong support team that contributes to the company's success.
An example of a CV after professional practice
Many program leaders have a bachelor's degree in business or another field, as some employers may require a degree in the specific field you work in. List all your academic achievements in the Education section of your Program Manager CV.
Any honors and awards should also be noted here. If you have a degree higher than a bachelor's degree, you can skip the matura exam.
Customizable educational resume Example
Master's degree in Computer Science from New York University in New York
August 2007 – May 2009
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science from New York University in New York
August 2003 – May 2007
Resume the skill example
The skills section of a program manager resume allows recruiters to quickly see if your skills match the position they want to fill. They should offer a combination of hard or technical and business skills and soft skills and try to outline higher level competencies.
What soft skills are in high demand? According toProject Management Institute:
- Thinking about the big picture
- The ability to sell a vision
- negotiation and influence
- conflict resolution
- administration of support groups
- Analytical thinking
Analyze the job advertisement and check if your attributes match those on the list. This keyword checker will help you rank better in candidate tracking systems that use resume selection algorithms.
Here is an example of a resume text from which you can download the skills section.
Sample CV in the Adaptive Skills section.
- Ability to evaluate results
- Ability to solve problems
- program management techniques
- Excellent communication skills
- managerial skills
- Analytical thinking skills
Resume layout and design
Your program manager position requires strong organizational skills. Your program manager resume should reflect these skills with a clear structure, clean margins, legible fonts, and clear section headings for easy reading.
Here are some design and formatting tips for a program manager resume to follow to make a good first impression:
- Try choosing a sans serif font, e.gArialLubmeasuring devicefor display text and serif type, e.gGaramondLubConstancefor your descriptions. Or try the opposite.
- Highlight your contact information, but avoid the profile picture
- Check carefully to avoid spelling, grammar and punctuation errors
- Create whitespace by changing the line length
- When you go to another page, try not to split parts
The first information the recruiter will ask for is your contact details, current and previous place of work and employers, as well as the name of the department. If you can't find them, your chances of getting the coveted job interview are greatly reduced.
Key information for program manager resume
- Choose a clear CV format
- Impress recruiters with career highlights in your profile
- Select achievements in your work history that show that you are already doing this job
- Match your skills with the job offer to pass the ATS exam
- Take advantage of professionally developed and tested productsresume templatesand online creation tools like ours.
To work as a Program Manager where I can use my excellent organizational, analytical, and communication skills for the growth of the organization. Looking for an opportunity to utilize my experience in program management and strategic planning to ensure successful completion of projects within deadlines.What is the job summary for program manager? ›
A program manager's job description emphasized developing a program's objectives and strategy and assessing how it will impact their department, business, or organization. For each program, a program manager defines and oversees the projects needed to reach the targeted goals.How do you write strong management skills on a resume? ›
- Use keywords such as “organized”, “developed”, “supported”, “created”, “analyzed”, “improved”, “optimized”, “solved”
- Make sure to describe what teams you managed, what number of people, and important tasks you completed with them.
Competent program managers must possess communication, management, leadership, critical thinking, decision making, interpersonal, organizational, risk management, and technical skills.How long should a program manager resume be? ›
Tailor your resume: Customize your resume for each job application, focusing on the skills and experiences most relevant to the specific Program Manager role you're applying for. This will help you present a targeted and impactful resume, while also ensuring you stay within the one to two-page limit.What is the strategic goal of a program manager? ›
Program management is a strategic management approach to executing and controlling multiple related projects. The goal of program management is to drive benefits to the entire program by sharing project resources, costs and activities.What are the key objectives of program management? ›
Program management aids in strategic execution and results in more time spent on the enterprise, establishing metrics, measuring performance against strategic goals, communicating, managing priorities, and managing business change across departments.What are the 3 concepts of a program manager? ›
A program manager's role can include: Coordinating multiple projects and reconciling the interdependencies among them. Providing strategic guidance to the company's project managers. Facilitating communication among a program's cross-functional team.What is program manager in simple words? ›
The programme manager is responsible for the overall integrity and coherence of the programme. They will develop and maintain the programme environment to support each individual project within it - often through an effective programme management office.Why would I be a good program manager? ›
You'll need to learn project and program management methodologies, and also to be organized, task-focused, and a natural leader and team builder. A program manager needs to have technical and tactical skills, and also have an ability to think strategically and focus on an organization's long-term goals.
- People skills.
- Critical thinking.
- Time management.
- Strong work ethic.
- Communication skills.
- Make changes and maintain stability. Program managers should be able to eliminate tensions, restore order and bring the project back on track. ...
- See the perspective while working. ...
- Encourage individuals but focus on the team. ...
- To give / not give orders. ...
- Flexibility but toughness.
An ideal program manager can show empathy, solve problems, offer support, give constructive feedback, communicate effectively, and offer strategies and guidance to their team.How can I be a strong program manager? ›
- Communicate the big picture or vision to everyone consistently.
- Be proactive in resolving challenges.
- Set realistic goals and timelines.
- Advocate for simplicity and common sense.
- Maintain the ability to work with others.
Instead of simply listing your programming skills in an unordered, bulleted format, consider separating them depending on whether they are considered a programming language, tool or operating system. This can demonstrate your organizational skills while also clearly outlining your skill set to an employer.